Monday, May 29, 2017

The Basics


Question and Answers:


Before you call with questions, check out the information on these Route Briefs for the two most popular routes on the mountain.

Disappointment Cleaver 
Emmons-Winthrop

These route briefs are packed full of useful information and will most likely answer all of your questions. So grab a cup of coffee and your favorite chair and take the time to look these over.

Weather:

Be sure to check the updated Mount Rainier Recreational Forecast before heading out for your climb.

Registration, Reservations, and Fees:

Registration

You can register for your climb at the climbing information center and any wilderness information center within the park the day of your climb or up to 24 hours ahead of time. For locations, hours and operation and phone numbers follow this Climbing Registration link.

Climbing Cost Recovery Fee

The climbing fee and where you pay has changed this year. It is now online at pay.gov  There will be no annual climbing passes issued so keep you receipt handy during registration to show that you have paid.  Please have everyone in your party try to pay online before you come to the park.  There is no longer an option to pay for more than one pass at a time!

Reservations

The park opens 60% of its sites at each camp or zone up to reservations.  The other 40% are always kept for 24 hours or day-of walk-up permitting.  For more information on reservations, please visit:

https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/climbing.htm

Current Conditions:

The Muir Web Cam is on line!   Muir Web Cam

For the latest snow and route conditions, please keep in touch with this blog.

If after all of this, you are having trouble finding the answer to your question, please give us a call.  360-569-6641.  Bear in mind that the ranger may have quite a few registering climbers at the desk when you call.

Thanks!