The Mount Rainier climbing program is seeking two dedicated and reliable volunteers to staff the climbing information center from May 22, 2017 to September 7, 2017. Come experience and be part of "A Year in Paradise!" This volunteer opportunity is perfect for a individual (or a couple) who are willing to commit to an exciting and remarkable summer in one of the country's most idyllic and historic natural park settings. Incumbent works three (3) 10-12 hour shifts per week, leaving four days each week for personal discovery and free time with close access to all of Mt. Rainier's dramatic natural resources!
Duties and Details:
• A significant degree of maturity and perspective is required of this position in order to function independently in a kisok/information/permitting environment.
• The duties of the position do NOT require a great degree of physical fitness, but do require standing behind a desk for long periods of time.
• A background and understanding reflective of a former professional career in the sciences, teaching, or in an outdoor industry is highly recommended.
• Duty days are 10-12 hours per day, 3 days per week (Tues-Thurs), usually double staffed with another volunteer.
• An 11+ mile commute to Paradise each morning and returning at the end of the day is required and is a part of the workday. A government car will usually be provided, however, occasional use of a personal vehicle may also be required to get to work from Longmire.
• No emergency services duties (fire, aviation, SAR, or EMS) are required by the position.
• Occasional wilderness and trail patrols may be possible, but are not required of the position.
• Typing, computer, radio, and telephone use are required by the position.
• Incumbent must pass a government background investigation to access low level government computer systems and email.
• Housing can be provided (Longmire or Ashford, WA), but is not required.
• A mileage reimbursement of 14 cents per mile for up to 22 miles per day is available when the use of a personal vehicle was required. An additional reimbursement of up to $20 per day is also available to reimburse meals and other living expenses while away from your home.
• This is a full-time volunteer opportunity.
• Housing is included and may be in Longmire or other various places in the park.
For more information, contact Stefan Lofgren, Mountaineering District Ranger, at 360-569-6642 or Stefan_Lofgren (at) nps.gov.
To apply, follow this link: https://www.volunteer.gov/results.cfm?ID=16425